Reviewing Lesson by Playing Human Board Games

Having six hours for English lesson is what probably many English teachers want. However, for someone who doesn't prepare lesson well like me, it sometimes stressful. Actually we have five hours per week and one hour for exam. Unfortunately, I don't use the time as it should be used. I just teach the regular material or sometimes gives exam material because I realize that this kind of thing will confuse the students.

So, here I am, in the end of the semester and confuse what should do. Teaching exam the whole time will be boring. That's why I search google for some fun ideas to review lesson or prepare for exam. I'm glad that I can many creative ideas. One of them is human board game which I found from this link

To play this game we need:
1. Questions
    I prepared the questions on power point presentation, so every students can see it clearly.

2. Papers and Markers
    They are to make the board games pieces. I ask the students to create their own board game pieces      which contains some messages they want the participants to do. For example, "Back to start", Go        forward 3 steps and choose your friend to sing a song, etc. 



How to play this game:
1. Tell the students that we will play human board game, and explain what it is.
2. Make the board games pieces.
3. Make a dice.
4. The participant who can answer question can step on the board game and do whatever it wants.

My reflection about this game:
1. It is fun, students agree that this game is fun.
2. We have too much participants. One game for the whole class. Actually, it is mentioned that the ideal participants are 5-10. Since I haven't had enough time for preparation, I just play one board game for the whole class. 
3. Students don't mind too much about their understanding. It seems that they just play without thinking the questions. 
4. We don't have enough space to play this.

What should I do next?
1. Have enough preparation by create some copies of the material.
2. Divide the class into some groups.
3. Play in bigger area/room. For example, the field or futsal field. 



Comments